Average Customer Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 (10+ reviews)
Available Colors: Fossil
Where to Buy: This product is no longer available. Check out hiking pant options here.
I bought these pants last July. I wanted a pair of lightweight pants that are a bit warmer in the cool of the dawn but with the ability to enable direct and immediate ventilation by removal of the bottoms to convert them into shorts.
I bought these pants mainly for my trip to the Camino last July. The mornings were cool there but the temperatures can get very hot as
you approach midday so these looked perfect for the job. These pants are part of the Columbia PFG (Performance Fishing Gear) line but I found them perfect for hiking too.
I had no issues with these pants. I found them comfortable, lightweight and enjoyable to wear. They were also easy to convert into shorts with a simple zipper around the leg and a boot zip on the side for easy removal over boots. They have good pocket space with touch fastening which is functional and easy to use.
As I was changing gear regularly on the Camino I needed something that was easy to wash and quick drying. These pants fit the bill with regards to that. They were easy to wash (washed them in the shower with me) and dried in no time in the heat of a Spanish afternoon! I give the Columbia Sportswear PFG Backcountry Convertible Pants the thumbs up!
UPF 30 rating may be too high if you will not be in regular or constant hot sun so you might want to review the Columbia Sportswear PFG Convertible Pants – UPF 15 version of these pants.
Links referenced on this page are sponsored links. Please review our full disclosure statement here.
- Lightweight, cool and comfortable for the trail in warm weather.
- Easy to convert to shorts with zips around the thigh level and up the side of the leg for easy removal remove over your hiking boots.
- As the pants are made from 100% nylon, and with the functional nature of the material, these pants are easy to care for. They wash easily and dry quickly.
- UPF protection for added protection if hiking in consistently hot and sunny weather.
- Insect repellent finish is a nice addition to these pants although I’ve had no need for that feature as yet.
- Only one color available.
- The pants are a little bit baggy in the fit (I didn’t really mind this though).
- From Columbia Sportswear’s Performance Fishing Gear line
- Omni-Shade® UPF 30 sun protection helps block damaging UV rays
- Insect Blocker® finish repels bugs and lasts for more than 70 washes
- Zip-off legs easily convert pants into shorts
- Quick-drying nylon fabric
- Button waist closure, zip fly and belt loops
- Elasticized waistband
- Mesh-lined hand pockets
- Zip rear pocket
- Touch-fasten cargo pockets with drainage holes
- Zip cuffs for easy on-off over shoes or boots
- Pant style: Flat front
- Pant features: Convertible, UPF Rated
- UPF Rating: 15
- Closure: YKK®,Zipper
- Inseam: Shorts 8″ (based on size large)
- Fabric: 100% nylon
- Care: Machine wash/dry
- Weight: 14 oz.
- Products returned within 6 months refunded by original payment method.
Have you used the Columbia Backcountry Convertible pants out on the trail? What was your experience? We’d love to hear about it in the comments below!